Into the Blue

Into the Blue

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Life's a sunset... when sailing Antigua

Hazy conditions create interesting photographs
I think I am addicted to sunsets.  Since living in Antigua, I think I've taken more pictures of sunsets than you can shake a stick at.  I wonder what it is about sunsets that are so compelling?

Many of our sailing guests comment that it's like a punctuation mark after a great day of sailing and before the cocktails are made!  Now, that's what I call a great sailing vacation!  Others say that it's like a  new day is coming and there is hope to achieve what you want.

When you sail with us, or take a learn to sail course, it is likely that you will see plenty of sunsets from the west coast anchorages, but you will experience a different angle from the top of Shirley Heights, for example.  For those cruisers who are not familiar with Antigua, Shirley Heights is the weekly jump-up overlooking English Harbour and beyond.  It's a great tradition here on Antigua and one that should not be missed.  Enjoy a brilliant steel band who will play anything from jazz, to modern to classical on their steel pans.  The rum punch is not bad either!  The trick is to get there before sunset!

Sunset from Shirley Heights, Antigua
From the west coast of Antigua, you might be anchored at an overnight anchorage at Hermitage Bay.  This is an excellent anchorage for sunsets (and swimming, cocktails, beach combing....).  This sunset below was taken from the south beach on Morris Bay just along the coast from Hermitage Bay.

Sunset from South Beach, Antigua
Sunset is also a time for romance!.  We were sent these two brilliant photographs by charter guests this past season.

Special time at sunset, Antigua
View from a guests' charter yacht - happy sailing vacation!

Last night, we were asked by friends on their charter yacht "Jabberwocky", to take their photograph at sunset.  At this time of year, with some Sahara dust in the air and low clouds, you are never quite sure what effect you are going to get.


Jabberwocky charter yacht sailing back into harbour

I think the one thing that sunsets do is to make you appreciate the beauty around you.  We are certainly blessed to be able to see so many shapes and colours of sunsets in our back yard.  Next time you come bareboat sailing or crewed sailing with us in Antigua, take a pic and we'll compare notes!

Horizon Yacht Charters
info@antiguahorizon.com


28 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this article with us! I came across your blog while I was online reading articles on taking a Bareboat Charter because I'm thinking of planning a vacation soon. I'm happy I did because this was a great and informative read, I'm definitely going to subscribe to your blog. Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoy the blog; my ramblings from a small island in the Caribbean! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic, i really impressed after reading your blog yacht charters dubai

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have discovered your blog today and I love it!! You make very beautiful things and your tutorials are very good
    Yacht charter dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so u beautiful attractive places are i love to visit Yacht charter dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have discovered your blog today and I love it!! You make very beautiful things and your tutorials are very good. Yacht charter dubai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yacht charter dubai so beautiful location i love it very mcuh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yacht charter dubai nice one of the best place for the tour i love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://dayoutdubai.com/prod-14-83-yacht-charter-dubai---55-ft-luxury-yacht.html I think the one thing that sunsets do is to make you appreciate the beauty around you

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yacht charter dubai I have discovered your blog today and I love it!! You make very beautiful things and your tutorials are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yacht charter dubai is very beautiful location for the trip i like it very much

    ReplyDelete
  12. yacht charter dubai have discovered your blog today and I love it!! You make very beautiful things and your tutorials are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yacht Charter Dubai the sean of sunset is amazing specially when you are in sea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yacht charter dubai is a great place for the family trip. Am also going to bookmark your blog for the further information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. waoo nice pictures. nice blog. if you want to see more nice things, then you should definitely Hire A Yacht In Dubai. its really cool

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh great. i loved the pictures, it created an amazing scene.
    Hire a Yacht in Dubai and enjoy it at the spot

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hire a yacht in Dubai one of the best place for tour i like it very much nice blog Great work

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing place Yacht Rental Dubai for spending holidays in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow.. It's such a awesome post. I like your Blogging style. I found you while I'm searching for Yacht Charter Caribbean and I'm happy to across your post. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Musandam Dibba is so beautiful, I love it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. At that time, online travel bookings were not fully explored and most of these journeys were arranged on an oral basis by way of phone conversation with the local travel agent or by the PGA Golf Professional.Golf Tours

    ReplyDelete